These Quick Start installation instructions are meant to install erxes quickly and with the least amount of effort. This installation is intended for evaluation purposes but smaller sites with low traffic usage will work fine with this installation. Note: Due to the minimum server size required for Quick Start, we install the search feature with erxes hosting elasticsearch. What that means is parts of your data are stored on erxes servers.
You must have an account with your hosting provider prior to doing these steps.
- Choose a server size that corresponds with the minimum requirements for installing with Quickstart:
- Ubuntu 18.04 installed and running
- 1 CPU
- minimum 1GB RAM
- ability to to SSH into the server
- If you're using a subdomain, then the subdomain must be created with your hosting provider hosting your main domain's website or app. The DNS needs to be pointed to your server. (See below)
Your server will have an ip address. You will need to point your domain name to your new server.
- If you are using a subdomain, you will need to follow the instructions of updating the `A Records' of the hosting company for your website.
- If you are NOT using a subdomain, then you will need to follow the instructions of your domain name registrar.
Example with a domain called, example.com
If your domain name is example.com, and the ip address assigned to your server is 22.214.171.124, then you will have two
A records that look like this:
|A||www.example.com||points to 126.96.36.199|
|A||example.com||points to 188.8.131.52|
Example with a subdomain called, erxes.example.com
You first need to create a subdomain. For example, "erxes.example.com". Then you need to edit the DNS.
If your domain name is erxes.example.com, and the ip address assigned to your server is 184.108.40.206, then you will have a two
A records that look like this:
|A||erxes.example.com||points to 220.127.116.11|
|A||www.erxes.example.com||points to 18.104.22.168|
Note: You do not need to create a subdomain called "erxes.example.com", you can use another name of your choice such as "admin.example.com".
- Open the terminal or command prompt on your computer. You will need your IP address. (In this example, 22.214.171.124). Type
yes, when asked if you want to continue connecting.
(Note: Some people get an error, WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!, please see the solution here.)
- Run the Quickstart Script to
- You will be asked to enter the domain name you would like to use. If you are using a subdomain, enter in the complete subdomain. For example,
See example below:
- You will next be asked: Would you like to install ElasticSearch on your server or use our free ElasticSearch service https:// elasticsearch.erxes.io?
You will have two options,
- 1 Install ElasticSearch or
- 2 Use elasticsearch.erxes.io.
If you are using a basic server (the above minimum server requirements), you must use Option 2 Use elasticsearch.erxes.io which uses elasticsearch hosted by erxes (free). Option 1 requires a server with 4GB RAM or higher. Note: By selecting the option to use the elasticsearch hosted at erxes.io, you are allowing parts of your data to be stored on erxes servers.
The installation process takes a few minutes to complete.
- You will know the installation was successful if no errors occurred and you see the following output at the end of the installation. All processes should have a status of
online, and the final line should say,
An erxes user was automatically created. Now we need a unique password.
- Create a password for the erxes user.
You will be prompted to enter and verify and password for the
erxes user. It will look something like this after you finish entering a new password.
- Log out of the
Log in as the
- Open the terminal or command prompt on your computer. You will need your IP address. (In this example, 126.96.36.199). Use the following command to log in as the
erxesuser and use the password you created in the previous steps.
After successful logging back into the server as
erxes, you are ready to continue and finish the installation process for erxes.
Let's Encrypt enables you to use HTTPS on your website. It will issue you a certificate which shows that you control your domain. Let's Encrypt additional information.
You will asked several questions, you can answer as follows:
- Enter your email address
- Agree with the Terms of Service
No, if you want to share your email address with the Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Select the corresponding number associated with your domain name, usually
2to redirect all your traffic to a secure HTTPS
Now run the following to test and set-up automatic renewal of your 90 day certbot. This needs to succeed so that your renewals are automatic.
Check your website in the browser. You should see the Secure Padlock next to your URL.
You have installed erxes. You may now visit your url and complete the sign-up process. We recommend opting-in to the newsletter and email update notifications to receive immediate notifications of important updates, instructions, and new tutorials.